I have a new found love for ThredUP. Have you ever heard of it? It’s amazing. Online consignment store extraordinaire! This website was created so that consumers like you and me can buy and sell pre-loved clothing and accessories. ThredUP offers over 25,000 brands for women, children and teens at over 90% off of retail.
I know what you’re thinking…..Do they really have the brands I love? How’s the quality? What about higher end labels, do they offer them? The answers to those questions are… Yes, they have your fave brands, the standard of quality is exceptional, they disclose any imperfections up front and they carry labels like Target, Tory Burch and everything in-between. ThredUP makes shopping fun and easy. You can even shop on your phone using their app. It’s simple, easy and fun!
I recently found some great pieces for myself and my littles! And guess what? This mommy didn’t break the bank! You can see our fabulous finds in the video above.
I adore a great chunky sweater and skirt combo! So festive and cozy. Shopping for your kids is even fun. No long lines, no fussy babies to juggle, no traffic….you can literally sit in your pjs while the kids play and shop! You can find dresses like Stella’s and add all the accessories your little heart desires. I love buying Ralph Lauren for Liam and you can find some great pieces like the ones he is wearing at really fantastic prices. Let’s be honest, no one wants to pay full pricing for clothing their kids will outgrow in a few short months!
Click on the links to begin shopping!
One of my absolute favorite designers is Rachel Zoe! I literally want every single piece in her clothing line. Guess who scored this cute little number by her fave designer? I did!!! I did a simple search for Rachel Zoe on the ThredUP app. Much to my surprise, there were several items available. I decided on this dress and it went from shopping cart to my closet. I could not wait for it to arrive! You guys, I landed the first item of my Rachel Zoe collection. I adore a little black dress. I mean, who doesn’t? This dress is begging me to wear it to a holiday party!!
If shopping consignment has you feeling a bit overwhelmed check out my tips below!
The thrill of the hunt, the anticipation of what could be, my favorite designer labels at prices I can actually afford and the opportunity to allow my creative fashion juices to flow freely! Thrifting can be the most exhilarating roller coaster ride of emotions!
Here are my top 10 thrifting tips:
1. The closet audit. It’s important to know exactly whats in that beautiful abyss of space in which your fave threads live! Otherwise, you will continue to buy the same comfy tee but, in 11 different versions. I keep an ongoing list of items I want and items I need. This helps to keep your impulse buys at bay. The natural response to those amazing prices is to fill up your cart with items you may not need. Just because “it’s a great deal” does not mean it’s a great deal for YOU. Is it really a great deal if you don’t need it, probably will never wear it and already have similar items in your closet? Focus! We are on a mission to save money, upgrade and diversify your wardrobe.
2. Hunt for quality brands and fabrics. Keep a mental list of your favorite designers and keep a lookout for those labels. For example, if I am shopping on my thredUP app I will search for items from my must have designers and cross every possible body part that I will find the perfect items. When thrifting, higher end labels and fabrics will stand the test of time. Natural fabrics will look and wear better over time. Seek out cotton, cotton blends, linens and leather. I always prefer quality over quantity.
3. Shop according to trends. Check out the runways for seasonal trends and inspiration.
4. DIY Up Do. If an item you have your sights set on is a must have but, has seen better days determine if you can repair or give it new life. I love a good DIY challenge. If clothing has pilling there is a simple fix. Use a clean razor and with a gentle hand draw the razor down in the direction of the fabric’s weave for easy removal. Holes are an easy fix with a needle and thread. If embellishments look warn you may either remove them completely or use your creative ideas to add to them! The key is to think outside of the box!
5. Get a great tailor! Whether clothes are new or pre-loved the fit of the item is everything. Chances are second hand clothes are not going to fit like a glove. Sometimes, it’s hard to pass up a designer deal because the hem is a little long. No biggie! Snag that amazing find and use some of the money you saved on the item to have it tailor made to fit your body. If you’re really adventurous grab a needle and thread, watch a youtube video on how to hem a dress and learn some valuable new tricks. Don’t be afraid of a little hemming. Collars can be removed, pants can become shorts and a waist can be cinched with a belt.
6. Challenge yourself. If you see a pattern or texture that catches your attention, don’t prejudge it. Let your creativity take flight and imagine all of the possibilities within. Maybe you really love a dress but would rather it be a skirt. Not a problem! Add a tee over the dress, tie a little knot on the side and bam! Your dress/skirt challenge is solved with a little imagination and a comfy tee.
7. Stock up on jewelry and accessories. These items have been gently loved but usually have so much life left to live. Jewelry usually shows very little wear. It’s also the easiest way to take an outfit from day to night or from casual to fancy. Never underestimate the power of a pre-loved strand of pearls. I mean, have you seen what an amazing set of pearls can do for a silky top and pajama pants? Two words….Carrie Bradshaw!
8. Location, location, location. Cruising on line makes thrifting easy but, if you’re out and about make sure you are hitting up the best spots. Affluent areas of town always make for great finds. When traveling you definitely need to find thrift and antique stores as you cruise through those quant little towns.
9. Put on your detective hat. Check to see if you are indeed getting a deal. If possible, search for the item in question on line to see what others are paying. It’s easy for our feelings to take the thrifting wheel and steer us in the wrong directions.
10. Leave with what you LOVE! You know what I’m talking about. The can’t wait to get to the register with your find so, you power walk like an 80’s work out video…kind of LOVE. The change in the car while at a red light because you can not live through another moment without it on your body….kind of LOVE. The same LOVE that has you walking down the street as if you are in slow motion with a wind machine blowing your hair and breezing through the layers of your perfectly drapey, gently pre-loved floral dress.
Consigning with ThredUP is easy. Simply order a kit, this cute bag will show up to your door step, fill it up and send it back!
This is a great way to declutter and upgrade your closet!
Teaming up with ThredUP has been so much fun! We are excited to offer you guys 50% off your first-time order up to $50. The offer is valid until the end of the year. Simply use the promo code PROPERSTYLE!